My photo
I feel that I must do all I can to keep alive the motorcycling legacy of Edgar, my dear, late Grandfather, whilst maintaining the high educational standards set for me by my Mama. I abhor naughtiness and immorality.

What's in a name?

I have been enjoying a delightful correspondence with a young American gentleman - I won't say who he is save to say he is a very Klassy person!  With great politeness, and not a little old-fashioned Southern charm, he asked if he might call me 'Camilla'.  I was very touched - and of course would be pleased for him to do so, for that is my name. I have, however, disliked abbreviated familiarities for many a year - since, in fact, I was engaged to The Honourable Charles Royston Nicks (who, incidentally, later claimed to be a second cousin of the divine Stevie Nicks).   Charles was fond of calling me 'Cammi' which I thought was because I rode my Grandfather's Model 40, 350cc SOHC Norton - the 'Cammy' Norton (see picture of Jimmy Simpson's Model 40, no.37, at the 1934 Dutch TT - my Grandfather's shoulder can be seen on the extreme right).


Later I found that it was nothing to do with my motorcycling, rather it was a smutty joke amongst his friends that when we were married, I would become Lady Cammi Nicks.  Naturally, I called off the engagement.

Grandfather, of course, hated being called Eddy.  "I was christened Edgar," he would say, "And I'll live as Edgar, thank you." He liked the German tradition of never using christian names, always calling people 'Herr' (ie Mr.) but even he had to smile when he went to see the prototype Cockmobil in Munich, and found the chief mechanic was called Friedrich Kutter - to be addressed as Herr Kutter!

Of course, some people may find the idea of a vehicle called a C**kmobil rather rude, but in those days decency ruled;  now brands think themselves clever if they call themselves something rude - like FCUK, or CNUT, or Twat clothing brands, and even a designer called Eva Minge;  I can hardly bear to write those words.  And then there is that silly woman, Susan Garden, Baroness Garden of Frognal, who has had to ask newspapers to stop referring to her as Lady Garden.  She should have ensured she married someone with a more sensible name - it's called grooming.

Well, that is enough for this year -  thank you to all who have written to me, especially Brady, Scarlet Blue and Mr and Mrs Hattatt all of whom share with me a love of Cream Horns. And to you too, Douglas......xx  

7 comments:

  1. You are wonderful!
    Here's wishing you plenty of cream horns this Christmas!
    SXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that there is a town called Titz, near Munchengladbach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, Heaven forbid, Wank in Germany. Fortunatly this is pronounced Vank. What could be worse then saying 'I'm going to Vank?'
    How about the inhabitants of Twatt on the Orkney Islands having to explain where they come from?

    Happy cream horn munching Camilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a company in Torrance California called Bollocks Masonry inc. Schoen,huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Camilla, you do know how to make a gentleman smile, and you do it without showing so much as an ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Messrs Affer, BikerTed and Herr Weiper: I really do not want a plethora of schoolboy smutty, tittering suggestions of places with rude names.

    Thank goodness I can rely upon the couth sophistication of Scarlet and Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year from nursie xx

    ReplyDelete